click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

2 Feb 2012

Day 146: Silifke

The storm hit its peak today in the late morning. The air was freezing but the sun came out. Also today its was unclear if the boats would leave the harbour, so I checked out of the hotel and took a bus to Silifke there as in Tasucu the wind was blowing the people through the streets with scarfs wraped around neck and their head hidden between the shoulders. I wandered the streets to look for a turkish bath and ended up going in circles. It was probably my thrid time around when and older man, Mehmed, caught up with me and started to talk. After he found out that I speak english, he grabbed my arm and suggested to seek shelter in his office. He explained, that there are not many tourists around here and that he is appreciating the opportunity to practice his english. In a corner of his office stood a guitar that he pulled out once he saw me noticing it to play two short tunes. One was about whine, that he himself does not drink anymore, since he is a rigours muslim who prays five times a day. This man had a voice, the kind that gives you goosebumps.
We enjoyed eachothers company and the conversation for a couple of hours, when it was time for him to go, he dropped me off at the hammam.
I sat quite some time in the steam bath, at last a place where the cold air does not blow over the floor, pulling the heat out through the feet. Here the floor was heated, what a pleasure. After I got some scrubbing. I felt a bit ashamed when a saw what that poor man had to scrub of my skin. Finally I was wrapped in towls and given a place to lie in the relaxing room and slowly dry off.
I felt like a newborn when I got back to Tasucu. The hotel boss told me once I was back that there is a ship leaving, not from the big company I just got a negative reply while stopping by at their office one, tje wauwau back, but the small one, Filo. So I set out again and finally got my ticket. The hotel boss let me stay in the lobby to kill time until late night, since the boat leaves at midnight.
At nine I was back at the agencies office. One hour later we left for harbour. After tedious security and passport controls I boarded another hour later. Finally, four hours later around three a.m., the ferry took off and the waiting came to an end.