click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

5 Feb 2012

Day 150: Girne-Larnaca

yay, I'm cycling again.
The day was sunny, no wind, just a breeze. After that unplaned longer pause, I progessed effortlessly so it seemsed. The condition, as menitioned, were perfect though and the topogrphy was not challenging. Additionally I noticed what a difference it makes if the road have smooth surfaces. Most of the roads on the mainland of Turkey I cycled were also asphalted but they put some kind of gravel on top of it, I call it gravalt. The gravalt transforms a lot of energy in friction and noise, so each car that apporaches with more than 60 km/h sound like a big truck.
But back to Cyprus, the central part of the island made the impression to me as it was inhabited by a giant mole not so long ago, many hills have a weird allure to it, not a naturale one. What was most amazing to me was that there was blossom, I saw a few trees started and in the fields there was a lot of yellow accompanied by a very familiar smell, the one of colza. I like the color of it and today I did not mind the smell.
Half way I crossed the city of Nicosia. Its center is enclosed by a circular wall. On the map this looks very intriguing. Here I also crossed the border to the south. The frontier divides the cirle pretty exactly in two. What is a line on the map manifests itsel as a wall in reality, cutting streets, where there was a passage before. This frontier bears also the beautiful name death zone. The pictures that present themselves to you in the north and in the south are quite different from each other. The north looked the similar as what I have seen in other parts of Turkey. The south has all the famous middle-europe city-center-labels all over it (macdo, kfc, esprit, zara, etc.), but beside it was more crowded and busy with people from many different countries that did not look like tourists.
But to be honest, my head was still overcrowded itself, so I observed a bit, but I was not really there.
So I got out of the city and soon into the and last one of the day, Larnaca.
Another thing that was particular of that day was, that I drove for the first time on the left side on the road. It felt all wrong and it was hard to force myself not to give free hand to the usual reflexes. When turning right, I often looked over my left shoulder (why is there no road? ah, right, let's check the other side... or should I just turn my head a bit more?). I made a couple of really weird manoeuvers, that made me laugh at myself.