click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

16 Mar 2012

Day 190: Sümela Monastery

First I thought I would travel through the mountains towards Georgia, avoiding the big road along the coast and see what this region is known for; the green mountains. But on second thought I am really tired of the snow, so I made Sumela a round trip instead of a stop along the way.
I planed this trip for yesterday, but I was today I finally dared going back into the mountains, at least for one day. I was not really eager plunging into the snow again but I really wanted to see that Monastery (more caves, love caves).
Once the I passed the aglomeration, the dust and traffic became abruptly less and the ride enjoyable. So I worked my way up through smaller and smaller valleys and the snow was getting more and more. A lot of little torrents join the rives carving the valleys, there is so much water here and even now where the snow had gone one can see flowers.
It was nice riding with little luggage for a change, this way climbing up the 1200m was unusually easier.
The last 3km the road was completly snow covered. the valley here was so narrow and wind blew the snow from the trees and all around, like real snowfall and later I realized the it actually started to snow too. It was then on the last hundreds of meters when I finally saw the well hidden monastery.
The visist itself was a bit disappointing, half of the monastery was not accessible and my hopes for a warm room from which one could enjoy the view up there remained unfullfiled. The cold wind and my wet feet made this a rather short visit. The location is stunning. In summer it is a different game though, there is a terrasse where tea is served and all around there are hiking trails from which one can get different angles on the monastery.
So I went back down to find the next restraunt to grab a hot drink. I was luckey and the first location I launched into had an oven. I drying the shoes a bit and stocked some heat before plunging down to the sea again. The ride  back was not half as long and a lot of fun. It was one of the rare times when in these last days without freezing my fingers ore toes off.