click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

14 Apr 2012

Day 118: Akhtala-Lermontov

I slept deep and sound last night and when the alarm went off early, I turned it off after only one ringtone and slept another two hours into the morning. Then I finally got up to climbing day.
During lunch break an Ratsch (sorry the spelling), a guy from the village joined me. He said to be 85 years old but he did not look anything like it. First he proposed to drink vodka which I refused, instead we had a couple of beers. He told me all kinds of stories mostly with mimics and he had a couple of magic tricks to show.
The rest was climbing again. After crossing 1000m a.s.l. the trees were not yet green and it was a bit like turning back time to and earlier state of spring.
I spent the night on the pass. To get from 400m up to 1800m I had to climb about 2000m. There was some big house where I decided to ask if I could camp around here. It turned out to be a hotel and the lady showed me a room and wanted to charge some 30 dollars. After some discussion with hand and feet I could camp and use the shower for little money. She also showed me a lot of bear skins, saying that camping in the wild would not be a good idea. But I though, seeing the many remains of dead bears that there could be hardly any left by now. A little highlight were the cats of the house. The mother just had three little ones maybe a weeks old, they all had white fur and one green and one blue eye. I was tempted to go to Van in Turkey just to see these cats, but now I found them here, in, the middle of the Armenian mountains.