click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

11 Apr 2012

Days 213-216: Tblisi

Staying with Alex, Tako, Nanuka (Their little daughter) and Kendra in Didi-Dighomi turned out to be really cool, in this apartment on the eleventh floor of an old soviet-building it was very cozy and a veritable treasure of knowledge resides here. Kendra is an American language genius, speaking Turkish, Russian, Georgian and French additionally to her mother tongue, Tako is a Georgian Biologist, knowing a lot about the animal kingdom of this country and her husband Alex covers History and Geography. A traveler could not hope for a better constellation of people, all together in one and the same place. All of our hosts are very passionate travelers and Alex is a cyclist himself, having cycled through most parts of his country. Consequently there was a lot of common interest and a lot to discuss, during these lazy days before the Easter weekend. Sharing English as common language, we shared a lot of stories and I learned another great heap about this country that I've grown very fond of these days.
While SonJung and Jihyun were making a day trip to Kazbegi. I would stay here and run around the city to get a new pair of trousers (since I gave one pair away and the wind-stopper ones threaten to fall apart soon because of the abrasion) and replace a broken torch and a lost mirror. After half a day without much success searching through the city I saw another cyclist going in the opposite direction. I had some difficulties catching up with the local guy riding on the sidewalk with considerable speed. Once I explained him what I'm looking for, Temo spontaneously decided to take me to the bike shop. There I found some stuff, but no suitable cloths. So after some talking with the shopkeeper Temo suggested another shop. So we went together to that other place and one friend from the shop decided to ride with us. It was cool riding with them. At the second shop they had one model of long cycling trousers in exactly one size and this turned out to be my lucky day.
I needed another afternoon to get the rest of the equipment but in the evening Kendra took me for a tour around the city. She appeared to have a similar strategy when it comes to discovering a city, which is just walk around. And so we did. On the random walk I found a small amulet of St.Niklaus, the protector of the travelers. This saint can be found in most of the marschukas (taxi-buses) in Georgia. We also stopped in a nice small bar, saw churches, the presidential palace and the brand new park in the center.
The last day I tried to look out for the following weeks, and coordinate visa-stuff, but I found a lot of other things to do instead, like posting this a bit too early. However the last days were warm and there is more and more green around us. I am very excited about the milder season giving me back some of my freedom that I really started to miss during this long winter I thought I'd escaped before it really hit me in central Turkey. Tomorrow I will reach Armenia, if things go smoothly and Iran is getting closer. But before that It's goodbye-time, my dear Korean friends and I will go separate ways again after a good three weeks of traveling together. On one hand I look forward of finding my own rhythm again and on the other I surly will miss their company.