click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

19 Sept 2011

Day 12: Leba-Gdansk

I was hesitating wether to stay one day longer, also because it was raining all morning and I'm not so fond of riding in the rain and I don't like packing a wet tent. But then I was not so fond of Leba either (very touristy), it's rather in Gdansk I want to spend time and I decided to go for it. The rain stopped barley one hour after takeoff, lucky me.
The night before there was a wedding. I did not see it but the brouhaha kept me awake for quite some time. Ironically this days theme seemed to be death. Since I really wanted to make it to Gdansk, it was an asphalt day. The road leaving Leba is a main axis and there where uncomfortably many of these crosses and flowers on the side of the road. I was glad when I finally turned into a side road. But overall there was not much traffic and most of the drivers seemed to respect me as a traffic participant. A couple of kilometers south, while exiting Lebrok, I passed by a graveyard where people almost were streaming to. I probably never saw a graveyard so colorfull and packed with flowers like this one. I was very impressed how these people dealt with death.
It was nice riding one a Sunday. Whenever I crossed a village in the morning and early afternoon I saw spruce looking people most of the time on their way to the center, the church.
I made it to Gdansk around 7pm, after 130 and, who would have thought, around 2000m difference in altitude, that were achieved by ocillating between -9 and 300m above sea level. Also I reached the 1000 km in total. To reward myself I wanted to go in a hostel, but the first was not a place to feel comfortable and the second one my map appeared to have ceased to exist. So after circling through a good part of the town, I ended up on the camping. There I met two guys from Pilniz having made almost the exact same tour as myself, only they took 14 days and were camping wild most of the time. So I had my first long conversation since I crossed the border to Poland . The exchange of stories was lasting late into the night.