click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

21 Sept 2011

Day 13-15: Gdansk

My first day in Gdansk was mostly about reorganizing stuff, cleaning, talking with Australians on the camping, surfing.
I went from the camping into a hostel to take a holiday from the sabatical and get a bit closer to the center of the city, since the camping really was fare out. Although did not yet wonder around a lot, I got some first impressions. Above all I noticed that there a lot of cats in the city, a bit like in Istanbul. I know a lot of pigeon and sparrow cities form Switzerland, crow cities from Germany, but cat cities I know only two so far.

The second day was wandering through the city, aiming to replace some equipment that did not work out or I lost in an absent minded moment. This ended in a huge tour reaching much further than the  city center. Here I had no problem communicating in english. The people were very helpful and patient with me and my special requests. When they gave directions its ended almost always in a "point landing" and if not, it was probably my fault. On the way from shop to shop I took my time and let the eyes wander. It was a warm impression the city made on me, also because of the weather that was mild and sunny again. I liked the street-art and the buildings ranging from ancient to modern architecture as well as ruins and streets have a lot of character and life in them. I think my mood blended in with the one of the people here; very relaxed.
The tourists are concentrated around Dluga, but already in the parallel streets they mix with the locals... No Disneyland here.
In the eavening, when I went looking for something to eat, I ran into Elizabeth, a marine biologist from Warszawa, whom I met in the morning at the hostel. She is here for a conference but needed a break from the nerdy stuff and so happened to spontaniously keep me company. We found a nice pub in a little street where a fiddler was playing and a very old lady behind the bar drawing beers. So came about the perfect ending of the day.

The third day I wanted to do proper sightseeing, but this remained just a resolution. It was sunny again and this would not let me go into a museum or similar. So I headed for the docks and ended up at a beach. All this time at the baltic sea I never felt like swimming, but today it was just irresistible. And so I lingered one more day, listening from time to time at the polnish phrase book I got the previous day, enjoying here and there and espresso and noticing from time to time that I comleted one or the other circle through the city.
Yes, about the espresso; it is superbe! not as strong as the Italien one, but with an amazing full-bodied taste. Love' it! Somehow I did not expect it, but they really know their sh...