click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

27 Oct 2011

Day 50: Banja Luka-Novi Grad

I put and alarm at eight this morning, but I was awake by seven. Peering outside the window revealed fog, dense fog. After settling the bill of the hostel, I went for coffee in the bar in the ground floor of the same building. Vladimir, the owner looked also very much in need for coffee and after a short chat about biking, we entered the bar. He is a geek by training, spoke fluent english liked biking, and had strong opinions, which ended in a bunch of interesting discussions. At some point we discussed economy and the politics tied to it in the context of Ex-Jugoslavia. It was very valuable to me to get his insights on parts of the history of his country. And then I was astounded by how much our perspectives on for instance the mechanics of economy banks and politicians overlapped even though our environment gives us very different angles to start with. It made me wonder...
The fog lingered all morning over the city, and so did I in the bar. Around midday I finally took off. And it was hard to get in gear. Weather was boring and my choice of roads not very nice to ride. After several breaks, in few kilometers I reached a crossing, where I could taken a side road, more or less parallel to the main road heading for Novi Grad, that connected a serie of villages at the foot of the mountain chain. The road went up and down in small intervals. If I hit the pedals hard the "Schwung" would just carry me over the cretes. While crossing the villages I rediscovered riding free handed. It was fun driving and steering wolter by the legs and hips only. You can call me steel horse kozak now...around two p.m. the sun lurked through the clouds and after a more reasonable distance I now took a earned break and bought me an isotonic drink (with a bit of alcohol in it) looked at the mountains that only revealed their outlines through the myst. And two and a half hour before dusk I suddenly felt like sport again. So I corrected the destination from Prijedor to Novi Grad and went for it in a high pace. My calculations where right, it was quarter to six when I arrived.
Furthermore I managed speeding in a fourty zone (hehe), I getting really good at this...