click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

25 Oct 2011

Day 49: Lukavac-Banja Luka

I got up early today, while it was still dark. At 8 a.m. I was on the road after and improvised, small breakfast out of the bag. It was very foggy while I was following a main road with bearable traffic the first couple of km. at the crossing where I could change to a smaller road, there was a cafe where I shot myself up with a bit of caffeine. The room was filled with smoke produced by a handful of locals lighting one cigarette after another. After a moment of silence after me entering, the vivid discussions continued. I listed, didn't get a word but found it interesting never the less.
This smaller road bringing me to Doboj was nice to ride. After my coffee the sun pushed through and I was delighted. On the way I saw a buzzard landing one a bush near the road. What graceful creatures. Although this one triped during his landing and was busy regaining his balance while I approached. Then we stared a moment at each other before he took off. This was my first time comming eye to eye with a huge bird like this.
As I arrived in the city I looked for a bar, to get some wifi. A couple sitting there invited me to their table, explaining, that they are ardent bikers themselves. After I gave them the basic data about my trip, they explained that they just finished a leaflet about local mtb tours and handed me a copy from the first serie printed this very day. Later the local tourim-manager joined the table too. And I was taken advantage of to probe possible target groups and we discussed cycling in europe. Before we parted they indicated me the best way to Banja Luka and further to the border. I first wanted to taken a route a bit further north, instead of the shortest main road connection, but they said after the first bit, traffic will be ok. Also I somehow got the impression that they thought I'll go directly to Banja Luka, meaning today. I knew it was far, and they informed me that there is a pass somwhere in the middle. Then I thought, why not, taken by the euphoria of the beautiful day.
So I lost the long trousers and here he was again, the wind slippery me in sexy, tight biker-shorts. And I hit the road hard, knowing that if I want to arrive before dark I'll have to aim for a high average speed.
After initial thoughts that I and my guides might interpret "little traffic" differently, the road got calmer after each village I past and I was stunnes by these beautiful mountains and the colors of the woods covering them. The road was perfect, in very good condition and crossing the terrain in what felt the best possible line.
After a third of the altitude to gain before the pass, I noticed, that I was neglecting good nutrition. At this point I could only try to limit the damage with sugars, no time to digest heavy stuff...
I crossed the pass at 800 m a.s. And plunged into a descent with an amazing view, riding this beatiful, dry road without breaking once. I was shouting my pleasure out, too much to be concealed.
I arrived at begging of dusk in, Banja Luka. Yeaah!
Furthermore I got ahead of a trekker, and not the oldest model I've seen around, I managed speeding in a 30 zone (hehe), and I kissed my legs after writing the following numbers in my notebook: 160 km, 1505 m, 23 km/h