click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

29 Oct 2011

Day 52: Bihac-Plitvicka Jezara

Well I bearly made it over the border today...
I think I need pause of a day org two.
But let's start where I left of yesterday. Bihac was interesting, I did not really take the time to sightsee, it was soon getting dark, and then I was too busy enjoying the apartment (motel), hanging out doing internet stuff and mostly doing nothing. However center of the city is separated by water channels, that indicate the outlines of the ancient town. What was furthermore striking where the bullet marked facades of a couple of buildings, until now the traces of last millenniums war never where that obvious.
The road towards the frontier lead over some hills, through Zacic. On the way there I first heard, then saw a swarm of "Stare" (the elvis presley beards). They already caught my attention yesterday and it was a nice surprise to see them again. The swarm must count about several hundred birds (difficult to, estimate) and I had the impression it was bigger than yesterday (if it was the same). I love these birds. They can fly really well an d sing like stars (as the name suggests). Now what was new to me is to see them flying as a swarm. I've seen crows, pigeons and others flying in, formation, but the "Stars" really have a beautiful fluid style, a bit like a fish swarm. They also have a characteristic shape, that results in different silhouettes depending on the perspective and while their upper side is pitch black, the lower side is a gray brown. Now all these characteristics and their amazing coordination as a swarm make it a real spectacle to watch them fly together. While the taken their breaks and feed, they make a lot of noise and before they take off, they all become silent. Now discovery channel reporters, let me ask while they are together, does their "singing" also fullfile the sole purpose to mark their, territory? Would be kind of stupid, wouldn't it? I can't help it but to find these explanations given on wild life programmes unsatisfactory. The recipe seems to be; take, the most primitive actions that occur to you, while you try to think like an animal. What really did not change much from church to, science is the arrogance of humans (first we are the masterpiece of gods creation and the we call ourselves as the peak of evolution). Whatever... This was a little excursion from observations to an extrcat of a thread of thought occurring while spending a lot of time pedaling.
When I arrived at these famous lakes, I tried to figure how best to explore them. It takes time and there was not mutch left to be spent in, daylight today. Furthermore it's disneyland here, busses and boats and you have to buy tickets to get close to the lakes, all very complicated. So I took a private room in the village nearby, got to know some locals and spent the rest of the afternoon drinking beer with them.