click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

24 Nov 2011

Day 78: Marchevo-Drama

After having diner last night, suddenly, around ten I felt hungry like you do after smoking certain herbs. So I emptied my lunchbox. There is nothing like a good old souper (the french one), only I had olives, sausage and bread, loads of it...
So today I started later, avoiding the morning cold, launching into a beautiful day, with moderate temperatures. Ideal riding weather. The mountains east and especially south looked amazing. Having the sun in the face, they drew lines in different shades of gray through the the misty air. I spontaneously spread my arms oberfrick a downhill stretch and shouted "panta rhei". Felt like flying.
Boarder crossing was easy. They asked me where I go today and tomorrow, but I think it was more curiosity than protocol.
In Kato Nevrokopodi I had lunch break. I sat for coffee in the sun in front of a small barand ended up chatting with two gentlemen, both having spent decades in Germany.
After the break I had a small pass too climb and it was as if the tires had glue on them. I should first eat, then have coffee, instead of having coffee, then eat and jump one the bike.
The ride downhill was nice. Now need for the windstoper layer this time, even though I had a bit of head wind.
Looking at the landscape I realized that there were some colors again and started singing: OUT OF THE BROWN, out of the brown, INTO THE GREEN, into the green..."
Those of you who have the pleasure listening to some german radio station, where you get a lot of advertisements, including for the station itself, probably get the hint.
I was only riding through the outskirts of Drama to stock up food and have another coffee (too fill up the water bottles). The guy from the grocery shop came after me after I left to give me a small bottle of ouzo for a gift, which, was highly appreciated.
On the side of the street there were a lot of white balls, and it took a moment before I realized that, this plane used largely for cotton cultures. I did not know that Europe produces cotten.
I found a spot for camping, not the nicest but in time. Yeah, camping again, last time was in Montenegro. I was looking forward to this after a long period in, the cold.