click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

24 Nov 2011

Day 79: Drama-Xanthi

I did not find, the, early sleep I was hoping for, but still earlier than the last couple of days. The surrounding trees showered leaves. A nice sound.
I rose with the sun and headed for Kavala at the coast. The ride was easy and not very spectacular. The dogs around here are very aggressive and I had too speed a couple of times too escape. Once I did break though, when a dog was running exactly behind me, rather fast. He skirted, but did not hit the rear wheel, however hey left me alone afterwards and did not persist. Sometimes the, were sneaking up behind me, like they love to do when you pass a property, but without a fence...
I did not, take my lunchbox break in Kavala, but decided to do it, in the next smaller town and continued a bit along the coast. The sea was beautiful.
After 10km with a bit of headwind, I reached the town, but it was not half as nice as I pictured it and my short stay at the seaside ended quite unspectacular.
The roads where really large, so large, that I asked myself if this was and attempt to asphalt the entire area. But I had a lot of space this way and did not have to spend extra attention to trucks. They could pass as fast as they wanted without me getting tense.
Towards Xanthi I passed and industrial area and after the landscape was really colorful. The wind cleared the air and I had a long range sight again. The plain around Drama ist surrounded by mountains, that would not let the fumes escape. Here. north so anymore.
Xanthi seems a nice small town one the first look and has a lot of newer buildings. That was a bit a surprise to me. I tend to picture everything ancient in Greece. Here I met with Eftychia, my host for the night. I cooked roesti and there was a lot of talking about movies. Two things I haven't had for some time.