click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

26 Nov 2011

Day 81: Xanthi-Zlatograd

Yesterdays climbing session turned into a slack-line session for me. Anyway, with the shoes I had, buldering was not really fun. The flat loose shoes I wore did not allow to bring enough pressure one the small structures of the climbing. But it was great to use the fine muscles again, since those got tired rather quickly from walking the slack-line, I presume cycling does not train thise muscles much.
The eavening ended in a tavern with Eftychia and a couple of her friends. We were drinking Tsipuro, a schnapps, that ist made of the remains of pressed grapes. Even though it ist a hard alcohol, it tastes relatively mild. I loved listening too the discussions, mostly in Greek, although somebody always gave me and aggregation of the discussion in English when I looked completly lost. I struck me how beautiful the language is. I heard it a lot as a child, but it has been buried deep in the memory box.
By the time this other, very greek looking Greek finished his talk about the making of Tsipuro, which was probably triggered by use ordering the last round, it was early morning.
I got up at half past eight with quite some difficulty. No headache, but I was a bit unsteady on my feet, feeling dizzy, or like someone was spinning me all night. Lucky Eftychia went back to bed after goodbye and I, envied her a bit.
After a double espresso I hit the road at ten, dreading what I knew was ahead of me.
The weather was perfect, the sun was out, the sky was blue, only little wind and temperatures were unusually mild. I had to take three smaller passes today to get back to Bulgaria. Soon after entering the valley leading me into the mountains, brown became the predominant color again. But the topography of these mountains make the region very interesting. A little color was added by the orange jackets of the hunters crawling through the hills, but most if the time I would just heart them.
Before the second pass I had a snack-break, during which the voice from a minaret was echoing through the valleys. It sounded very nice and I first thought there were two minarets until the last sound lost itself after many repercussions in the many valleys around me.
After the second pass where most of the ascent was a 10% slope to climb I was definitely and completly sober again feeling actually very good. The third pass was then the border to Bulgaria.
In Zlatograd I decided to call it a day. I was not exhausted but tired. It was a magnificent ride today one good roads with low traffic forming beautiful serpentine through the mountains offering enchanting views.