click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

30 Nov 2011

Day 85: Haskovo-Edirne

Today was surprising. I dreaded the 100km on big roads to Edirne. It turned out that the first part to Harmanli was ok despite trucks since the road was large enough. Afterwards the highway running parallel disencumbered the road I took of most heavy traffic. Conditions were perfect. Around midday the sunny day had mild temperatures and no wind at all. I road at ease, pretty fast through the big plane, over some small hills and mostly a bit downhill.
At the border there was an impressive area, capable to deal with a lot of traffic. Confused by, the many boxes and barriers I greeted, still one the Bulgarian side with merhaba. The Lady was laughing and ment; merhaba is over there and point to the next bunch of boxes. I slipped by the queuing trucks and was waved through at customs past a lot of cars with open trunks and messed up bags around them. All they wanted to know is where I've been travelling and how much further I intend to go, which was commented by shaking and smiling heads. They wished me even good luck. That was the border...
And for the first time the picture seriously changed from one side of the border to the other. On the border area there was the first unusually big mosque and before I saw the houses of Edrine I saw the tall minarets.
I checked in a pension and was eager to take a shower. There was some noise from builders that grew louder while I cleaned myself up. Shortly after I was done dust drizzled down from the roof at a corner of the bathroom. The noise got insanely loud and after some stuff fell down, there was a hole in the roof. I shouted. The answer was sorry and cackles. A guy came to my room. I wanted to say something like that no, harm was done, but "no problem" came out. The guy said; no, no! Problem! Went off and got me the keys of a room in the top floor. No more builders above me... Let's hope this roof does not get a hole too...