click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

16 Nov 2011

Day 70: Gushte-Fierze


Waiting for the ship to come...
Yesterday I got an unexpected call from Daniel. He told me they would wait in Fierze if I don't need to press on. In half a day it is not possible to cross the border to Kosovo and make it to then next town there, and besides following a schedule instead of enjoying time in good company seems like a bad idea anyway, even with winter coming. I will need to find more and warmer clothes soon.
The boat trip to Fierze was amazing. The landscapes of north albania continue to astonish me. Here and there the boat would do a touch and go, dropping of people and their good, they carried with them or picking others up. There was no pear for the ship at all. Since the mountains descend steeply into the lake, the ship can come close enough. is is still amazing, how quick the people were on this rather difficult terrain, unloading even a heavy metal stove (to be used with wood) plus its accessories in no time.While smoking on the abaft, behind the cabin of the boat, where it was a bit wind sheltered, I got to chat with a couple of locals, that told me that some of them had come around in northern Europe quite a bit (Amsterdam, Hamburg...), showed me on which mountain their houses were, or those of relatives. They seemed fairly proud of their land and they have all reason to be. The diversity of products they grow in these difficult terrain is quite impressive.
From the harbor in Fierze, I had a short distance, to the village and that was all riding I got done on this lazy day. After I had a coffee in one of the three bars, that are located around the round, central square of the village, Daniel and Paul joined me, coming back from a short round trip in the surrounding mountains. We were all starving and decided to go with the car to Dojan, the next small town 10km away to get something warm and decent to eat. We found a grill restaurant, where the meat was tasty but a bit hard-bitten. To my deception, they had no baclawa for dessert, actually they had nothing for dessert at all. But Paul told me, that they have some very sweet croissants with honey, we could have back in the apartment. Back in Fierze we went to a bar for a couple of beers. When the bar keeper wanted to close up, Paul went a bit shopping in the marked across the central square.
In the small apartment (hotel) we managed to finish all the beer Paul thought to be more than enough, however we ended up having more than enough. As a nice surprise the very sweet honey-croissants turned out the be baclawa and I even go my desired dessert. The astray was filled to the rim, from the outside it must have looked as the apartment was burning. So after many discussions I got to bed around 2 a.m.