click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

19 Nov 2011

Day 73: Skopje

It was ab beatiful cold day here. I first tried the bike shop to get oil and yet another axis for the, rear wheel. Somehow I, managed to damage the screw thread, so I'm using spacers that the nut reaches an undamaged part of the thread. However, the bike shop that the hostel staff indicated to me yesterday I did not find india the first attempt, but there was another shop on the way. This one did not have any of the things one my lists. They had oil, but only for their workshop, not for sale. But the owner pointed me to the shop I was looking in the first place. That one was closed.
So I quickly returned to the hostel and then took off for, the old town and the bazaars. Skopje is a cool town. India the center they build new historical stuff, but the real attraction is the bazaar. Probably there was everything that I needed and a million more things, but I found everything but my warm pullover. I'm picky though. But I found amazing olives nuts and natural Macedonian tabac. When I was asking for 50g they were looking at me with amazement. So usually they sell a kilo for a couple of euros.
Since I did not find a jumper that fulfilled all my requirement, I decided to ask a seamstress what it would cost to have one made. I the small shop I tried, there was a woman, helping with the translation. I thought she'd work there, but turned out to be a painter, that was just using the computer of the owner. The offer that was made after I formulated my request would have been very good, only time was the problem. If I had a week here, I'd have a custom made pullover. The woman, Aphroditia, was showing her altelier to me later. She workes a lot with textiles, to be combined with paint. Her paintings look very raw and earthy and I liked the intense colors she uses.
She told me that she was born in Lörrach, which is 30km from where I grew up. Yet another person, that has connections to the lands of my childhood.
Ivcame back to the hostel india the eavening, after a day of walking the city, I'm tired, very tired, happy tired.