click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

11 Jan 2012

Day 125: Istanbul-Gönen

I resolved to take the ferry to Bandirma today. According to Dagli, this way I skip the most industrial area of Turkey that stretches along the coast of the Marmarian Sea until Burda.
The first plan was to go to Burda to find a particular kaligraphie in a particular mosque. But since my plan was to escape the crazyness of very densly populated areas and I could not think of another reason that would make the point of going to Burda, I followed the given advice.
I left the hostel at 6 a.m. to catch tje boat at seven. It was a short ride from Topane to Yenikapi on quiet roads. I thought I would be fine, arriving at the pears before the rain starts, mainly beeing too lazy to get the rain gear on. But I got my little morning shower in the dark.
I was hoping seeing the sunrise over the Marmarian Sea, but it was too clouded. The sea was rough, a strong wind (approximately 5 baufort judging from the waves) blew eastwards.
It felt good beeing back on the road, but after 50km I was soaked and feeling cold became the dominant feeling. However despite the ongoing rain the wind had my back and I figured that riding with the wind was probably one of the few bearable outdoor activities. I only stopped when I had to and as soon as I did the wind started to blow away a lot of my heat.
I also found a great name for my vest, I tenderly call it the WETTERRÜSTUNG (weather armour).