click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

15 Jan 2012

Day 129: Menderes-Selcuk

It was a quiet ride after a not so quiet night. The morning atmosphere was beautiful. I rode through the plane and hit the hills before reaching the coast. To reach Selcuk I had to cross another plane, with what seemed never ending long plains.
When I arrived my feet were very cold. Yesterday I sacrificed a couple of pages of a notepad to get the soaked shoes a bit less wet for today. The shoes where not the only wet thing and so I decided to seek refuge in a guesthouse.
In the early afternoon, after a loooong shower to thaw my feet and after hanging up all the things to dry I took a bus to Pamucak to see the camel wrestling, the reason why yesterday I took a leap of 120 kilometers.
The atmosphere was very atmospheric. Camels everywhere and people gathered around some kind of arena. There were several groups of musicians moving around and playing. Families brought half their kitchen along, set a table, lit up a barbecue and seemed to spend the entire sunday here. The caretakers wrestled the Camels into the arena, then camel wrestled camel and most of the time they were wrestled appart by the caretakers before leaving the stage. Few matches were quite spectacular: one time a camel was thrown one its side by its opponent. Another camel chased its opponent out of the arena when the opponent tried to run away.
After two hours my feet where frozen again. My thin Converse shoes are not made for walking around in the mud.
The rest of the eavening I enjoyed sitting by the wood oven in the common room of the hostel.