click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

18 Jan 2012

Day 132: Pamukkale

I went for the full program; the hiking and the bath.
The central path is exclusive for barefoot pedestrians, yes, barefoot. Me two I thought the guy was joking. The mineral sand was very nice to walk on. At the beginnig it was freaking cold though (at the early morning temperatures had descended bellow minus ten degrees celsius) but as I progressed upwards the water got warmer, while I was avoiding wet feet at the beginnig, later it was nice to warm them up again in the shallow waters flowing down.
The view from Hierapolis, which is on top of the source, the view is quite amazing to the mountains around. The steam, the impeccable white of the calciumhydrocarbonate, and the, crystal clear waters taking sometimes a shade of light blue in the bassins, creates a very particular atmosphere. Hierapolis b.t.w. stands for holy city, which I find a 'logical' name for such a transcendental place. My focus was, as usual, more on the creations of the elements than on the (ruins of) creations of man.
The bath was just what I needed. The water burns slighy in the nose and on the eyes, probably because it is acidic from the chalk and the carbon dioxide.
I lay in the water and used a spring to massage my back, which was all very relaxing. I was most astonished by the silence in the waster. Once the ears were under water, the only things I could hear were my grumbling stomach and my breathing.
Yesterday I felt close to falling sick, now I'm good to go again after a rest-relax-day. Besides Wolter also needed some attention, tightening screws etc.