click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

19 Jan 2012

Day 133: Pamukkale-Acipayam

I felt like porcelain approaching those mountains. I stopped at a cafe in Denizli to having a tea and pull myself together. I didn't cross any path above 1000m since Bulgaria. Back then its was very cold, but now we are in the middle of winter. On the news there were a lot of pictures showing snow covered cities of Turkey, amongst them was also Istanbul. The province of Izmir seems to be the only region not drowning in the snow the last couple of days, so I can still count myself lucky.
Three days of riding through the mountains before reaching Antalia. The weather forecast is good until tomorrow, Saturday its will be cloudy and probably snow in the eavening. So I have just the time to pass, later I might get stuck in the mountains.
So I took the climb, slowly and steadily. Its was cold, but the sky was cloudless and there was almost no wind, except for some exposed spots. Well and the views; on the white mountains and down into the valleys... I tried many times already to describe such sceneries, but its never felt as I could do them justice...
I had to settle for the biggest road between Denizli and Antalia, because some roads were not cleared of the snow. So there was quite some traffic, but in this case this also ment I can pass too, besides the road was very large, leo that I could occupy my own lane.
After the first pass the road lead into yet another plane, but this one was high and all snow covered. That was when I buried that still lingering hope of beeing able to camp with my tent. But all that snow and the increasing temperature gradient between the chest and my extremities drove me into a hotel (for lack of options).