click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

24 Jan 2012

Day 138: Antalya-Manavgat

In the prospect of a rainy day it was hard to get started. I chose as many small routes along the coast as possible. While riding those I realized that until now I did most of the distance one big roads. They were ok, but having almost no traffic was a welcome change, the air is so much better this way.
On the coast there was one hotel complex next to another, palace this deluxe that, most of them had five stars beneath their name. So far it was the biggest outgrowth of tourism industry I have seen one all of the coast I've ridden along.
At some point a small river cut my road. Greenhouses had replaced the shiny hotels here. No bridge nor a ferry wad in sight. That was when I crossed the path Zafer, at this tiny fisher port. I asked him about the best route and he told me that I would need to do some ten kilometers detour to find a bridge, but if I would wait five minutes a friend would take me with his boat. We had a cay and took a small boat with two of his friends five minutes later. It was quite and exercise to hoist wolter with all the paniers one the boat. Went went a bit upstream and halted at a small property one the other side. There I was invited for a second breakfast. The captain was a boat builder from the black sea, one of his half finished constructions was tied to the pear in front of the house. The other of Zafers friends even spoke Schwyzerdütsch and happend to have lived in Lyss close to Bern. They were a cool tryo with plans to go one long journeys, sailing the sea with one of their self made yachts.
After a couple of more cays I went on. Shortly after it started raining. Hugo Koblet said: Velo fahre isch im fall kei zuckerschläck. Word by word: riding a bicycle is not a lick of sugar. Well he was a racing pro though but I could relate to his line, even if went probably did not think about the exact same aspects of the sport.