click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

11 Feb 2012

Day 156: Mersin-Pozanti

The Boat arrived in the harbour of Mersin before dawn, it was as it lay still that I found some sleep. After eight we could leave the ferry and proceed to the passport control where the offices just had been occupied again. To my releaf I got a new Turkish stamp without any trouble, now I just have to hope that there won't be any either while I will get stamped out.
With time pressure falling from my shoulders I was keen to ride the wide lands again, having left that beautiful but small island. The conditions were perfect; warm air, sunshine and a slight tailwind. Riding through the industrial area of Mersin was a dusty affair and lasted until Tarsus. Once I started heading north from there on the old roads (they've built, a highway nearby) the cars and trucks got fewer and fewer. Ahead lay the white mountains, majestic and very intimidating. While climbing the air got colder from the snow covered mountains, undermining the, warmer breeze coming from southwest. Along the way there were a lot of cars parked alongside the road and not far from them families were playing in the snow and have their barbecue. Temperatures have gone up the last couple of days, the street was cleared and the snow was melting a bit, but there was still plenty.
I reached almost the pass, when I met Louis and Marie, a couple on their long walk from Paris to Jerusalem. We had and extended chat and when we parted all of us run short on time to reach the next village/town (in opposite directions).
The decent into the valley was freezing, beside I had not much provisions this day, I grabbed a pide for breakfast-lunch and had only two chocolate bars and an apple. So I was very hungry by that time and low nutrition accelerates hypothermia. Once in the warmth of the house I took a hot shower and then lingered close to the heater to defrost.