click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

12 Feb 2012

Day 157: Pozanti-Nigde

I still felt yesterday in my legs. Actually I wanted to show off some numbers in the last post, but forgot to write them, so here they are: 110km, 2100m climbing, lowest/highest point 0/1400m
This morning I pedaled along a road with loads of trucks, not so funny. Around midday I tools a turn to the north and for the next couple of hours my two hands had enough fingers to count the passing cars. Since I left Pozanti this morning the roads went steadily up and up and the last kilometers got steep before reaching the pass at 1650m. Since the road went north, the south hillsides were without snow and the brown grass and rocks were visible. Once I looked back on the pass facing the north hillsides, the valley was not brown anymore but it looked all white.At first sight I was irritated, then amazed to what extent the two faces of that valley are different. The descent on the high plateau (1100m) was magnificent. It reminded me of the plateau I crossed between Denizli and Antalya, only a magnitude bigger. Some of the surrounding mountains reach above 3000m. I expected more snow up here, but a lot had melted already the last couple of days, giving this landscape amazing contrast. I had the feeling of space here, few houses, a huge plateau with hills with a few trees on them. This years sprouts on the trees added an orange and red glow to parts of the landscape. Even though the descent was not very steep, I had to halt a couple of times to take that all in. I did not even get cold during these 30km of downhill.
Only when the sun got weaker I got some headwind for the last bit untill Nigde.