click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

19 May 2012

Day 250-251: Sharjah

Once we all arrived at the port and after hours passed the passport and luggage controls we went together looking for a cold beer. We ended up in a shopping mall at Fridays, no beer here, but something to fill our stomachs with. Then David and Magnus went their way to find their family friend to stay with. Marco, Nathalie and me would go to a hotel bar and finally, finally we got that cold beer and it was a moment of bliss.
In the evening I said goodbye to my compatriots and went looking for a cheaper hotel. The first youth hostel did not have any WiFi, a thing a was so looking forward of having again, so I chose to checkout another hostel I found on google maps. The second choice turned out to be only existing in the virtual world. On the way to the third one, it was getting dark, I passed a hotel that looked a bit pricy but I decided to ask anyway. Once I saw that the rooms they had there were fully equipped apartments with high-speed internet I thought that this is the land of sheiks and that I had deserved myself a piece of luxury and checked in.
During the procedure I got to talk to a man that was studying and living for 25 years in Germany. He was interested in my trip and proposed to give a talk at a German school his company built (being a engineer himself). I had to decline the offer of riding out in the oasis with him the next day to see that place, since I was in desperate need of a shower and a lot of sleep.

My second day in Sharjah I did nothing much except interneting. But I managed to get in touch with Thoby I got to know in Georgia. We set a meeting for the next day.