click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

21 May 2012

Day 253: Wadi Bih

I woke up with a terrible hangover, the sun was up, my mouth was dry and I was a bit unsteady on my feet while packing up my stuff in a hurry, the others having packed up their stuff already.
We got back in the car and drove a bit further into the wadi, where we met Dee and John at a nice wall in the shade.
I did not feel like climbing at all but Blair encouraged me to give it a go and left me no choice to chicken out. I did not climb for almost two years now, having had injuries at both hands that ruptured my regular climbing sessions with Quentin, my dear French friend back in Dresden. It was a nice route, not too difficult and enough technical to be fun. There were a couple of passages where you needed to do hand/finger jams in the crack of the wall. My mouth got dry and the first meters were really hard and took me a long time. having used too much time and energy for the first part, I need to rest, hung in the cord and thought I was done, Blair though differently and would not let down before I would try at least one more time. The second part was a bit easier than the first and went a bit smoother than the first half. Back on the ground I felt almost sober again.
Around midday the sun edged closer to the wall where we were climbing and it was time to leave before the sun gets a chance burn us alive.
So Thoby Blair and me went back to Dubai to freshen up and then drive to Abu Dhabi where Keith, a friend of Blairs, hold a chilly cook out... delicious...