click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

29 Jun 2012

Day 296: Indore-Ujjain

I got up and thought that I could do with another day of rest, but after forcing myself to get on the road it was fine. The fact that it was a rather short ride ahead helped. Shortly before my destination I had to blink a couple of times before I trusted my eyes, but indeed, there was and elephant walking on the side of the road. I overtook it and stopped to take a picture, the elephant-walla stopped and invited me to touch the giant. Amazing this creature! Then of course he wanted that I value his effort, I gave him twenty, he was not so happy and said something ganipatti (another name for god ganesh?) and said it should be worth fifty at least, I gave him the fifty with a large grin, how can you argue when he pulls the hammer argument of gods and stuff.
After three intense hours with lateral/headwind I arrived in, the holy city. It took me a while before I found a bed in a Guesthouse, but it is brand new super clean, nice and quite affordable.
In the afternoon I was wandering around the city and visited the temple neighbourhood, where amongst many others there is the famous Mahakaleshwar Temple dedicated to Shiva. I liked the promenade along the green Shipra river best, with its little temples and the red rooftops around, a very colorful scene with a particular atmosphere.
The sun was barely down when I hit the pillow, I think I am finally in tune with the rhythm of the sun.