click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

30 Jun 2012

Day 297: Ujjain-Biaora

I woke up shortly before sunrise and wondered why it was so dark. After getting up it turned out to be a cloudy day, excellent! After a couple of incredibly hot days this was most welcome and I started cycling in the gray of the mornig on a nice road with little traffic, a couple of raindrops falling from the sky. Two hours later I was back on the highway, only that here it had only two lanes and consequently it was crowded. I found myself cursing a lot and making rude gestures to truck drivers that made perilous overtaking manoeuvres. The overloaded trucks went too fast and when making narrow curves the weight would push them almost sideways putting heavy torsion on the chassis and the wheels.
At one of my water stopps a women came by with a flat basket and showed me its content for a fraction of a second it was enough to see that it was a cobra, quite intimidating. She asked me to put a little something on top and so I did. At another snack stop a guy with a book in his hand portrayed Wolter, he moved his closed pen in all directions over the cover of his book without leaving any trace though, in between frantic strokes he would put his right hand to his ear and talk... with nobody around him, but maybe with a god. When he was finished, he opened his book in front of my eyes and there was... no, not a picture of Wolter but a couple of small bills and he asked to make them more and merrier. This time I refused, he insisted, I refused and back and forth until he asked for a tea instead, that was fine with me.
Concernig Wolter, he gets the better of peoples attention these days, they study him intently, point details out to each other and later ask me a couple of questions. Interestingly they always remark the charger for the phone powered by the dynamo-hub, many people who ride modern bicycles themselves often didn't.
It was a long days cycling and I only snacked and rode over midday, the clouds shielding the sun that never the less managed to heat up the road so I felt the warm air rising. Shortly before Biaora the clouds gave way after all and the last twenty kilometres were hell and I had to take many stopps to pour water over myself to help me stay in the margin of healthy body-temperatures. I found myself a cheap hole to sleep in, showered, ate, washed a minimum of cloths and dropped into the well deserved bed.