click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

23 Sept 2011

Day 16: Gdansk-Elblag

After the search for a new mascot yesterday was without succsess and I was afraid having to leave Gdansk without a new one, Joda crossed my way. He was standing next to the computer at the reception of the Old Town Hostel. And he was up for a journey and jumped on the seat on top of my bikes front wheel. He left a note though, saying: "Joda gone travelling. Will be back. May the force be with you!" So at some point he will be "package-ported" back to Gdansk. This made me very happy indeed. This statue is also more solid than the happy lucky cat, whose Youarticulations suffered a lot because of the bumpy roads. Then again Joda is a Jedi, no wonder.
The weather was changing today and I was riding further east together with the rain clouds. I got luckey with the roads, only little traffic and everything was nicely rideable. My knie is a lot better and I think now I understand it's signals better. It was nice riding again after three days.
For the night I chose to campe wild. The spot I chose, I noticed later, is not far from a waist dump, but as long as the wind does not change it's not bad here.
also the landscape changed, there are more lakes and channels, I reached the border to the Masuren, also called the land of thousand lakes. Michal, a dude from the hostel, told me though, that there are even more than thousand lakes, beside some other useful information about his country and about which routs to take.
I was first attracted by this region because I heard about the big ancient forests. It turns out that this biggest connected peace of forests lies at the eastern border of Poland. Since Oktober is approaching quickly now, I decided to save visiting the very east of poland for another time and see that before mid Oktober I get a couple of kilometers south. The last thing I want is to be surprised by the Polnish winter.
So from tomorrow one the major direction changes from east to south for the comming weeks.