click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

9 Sept 2011

Day 3: Koebeln-Helensee

Jep irony had its way. It was raining indeed, but luckily only for and hour or so.

While pedaling I couldn't help noticing the number of bridge ruins and other bridges that have no bit missing, but that were rosty. I then wondered if this reflects on German-Polnish relationships.

Another thing that I enjoyed and left a deep impression, were the bycicle tracks on top of the dykes. From there I had a great view, since it was sometimes the highest point for kilometers, even more so after Neissenmünde, where the rather small river, Neisse, joins the major river Oder. There the dykes are maybe twice as high as before and the water masses are impressive.

After my wrists would hurt again and again, I decided to by some handles that can be mounted at both ends of the handlebar. In Guben I found a shop in the backyard of a house. The owner had lived for quite some years already and seemed to have climbed out of his glass cabinet where he kept some spare parts form before "der Wende" as he himself refered to the DDR times. He told me that nowadays nobody asks for these anymore. An original! Can't help but to love these people. To complete the picture he was asking for one Mark pice when I settled the bill.

Since my ambitions to make 110+ km without the wind in the back had my cycling into the eavening and I wanted to set up the tent by daylight, I resolved for googlemaps to quickly find the nearest camping. I ended up in some side road, where I already wondered why there were no signs one the main road of the village. I went never the less since I was curious to see what google possibly could have found there that has a connection to the searchword. Well, there was a garage that advertised, some accessoirs for RVs. Then I tried again with osmand, with more succsess. I managed to put up my tent in time facing the beatiful lake. And here I am, on that beautiful camping with 3 kebab shops, one supermarket and an asia fast food thingy (all deserted, because main season is luckily over)