click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

15 Sept 2011

Day 8: Kolobrzeg-Jaroslawiec

(rewrite, first post got lost because smart phone browser was not so smart)
The bike track from Kolobrzeg was the best so far. It's in very good shape, probably just finished this season and goes along the coast. It was an ideal warmup, easy pedaling that with the west wind in the back still resulted in and average well above 20 km/h. Later the track got bumpy again and was asking, more attention. While meandering around the holes in the road, together with the noise of the wind and the waves hitting the beach, this became quite a meditative exercise.

Now I know it for sure. A touring bike that weighs with luggage 30 kg +, is not made for trails with sandy underground. This experiment was attempted during one of my "there is no path on the map, whatever, let's see" moods. As the map said, the road ended at some point, but there where still pedestrian trails. Ha! I thought, these trails are even rideable. But it all ended in the nowhere. There where still traces from wanderers and some bicycles (but comparing their depth and the one from my bikes traces, the other bikes were probably no loaded). Finally there was no clear way, and the most reasonable option, besides going back, which does not really count for warriors, was to walk on the beach. This opinion was shared by to fellow polnish knights than I encountered in the middle of the fiasco. So we walked on the beach, pushing our iron horses. Luckily the wind helped pushing and we changed the lead, so the others could use the trace, which made, at least in my case, a noticeable difference. After 3 km of hard work we reached, at last, the road again. It seamed like a small ritual when the three knights emptied their shoes of the sand.

In the mean time the wind grew stronger and stronger. I got tired and my right knie told me not to make too many km anymore, so I started looking for a place to stay. The camping in a small town somewhat away from the coast had already finished its season, and I turned to the next best hotel. There in a worn down place I encountered the most dubious concierge/owner ever. The whole place was decorated the place with old canvas showing modernish dark paintings. After some negotiations, about the price, during which I noticed a strong smell of alcohol, I decided against my knie and rode to the next town.
There one the camping I was greeted with surprise, since they did not expect somebody to camp in what finally has become a storm. After the mother of the house engaged energetically in the conversation with the landlord and his son, they would not let me put up my tent, but offered me a cabine for almost the same price, which was very kind.

Batteries of the phone and mine are empty now, so will both go to our recharge station.