click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

30 Oct 2011

Day 53: Otocac-Novalja

Getting up was hard again, however, to my own surprise, at 9 a.m. I was one the road. Today I had the streets mostly for myself. The sky was covered, as always for the past 15 days or so, but I would arrive at the coast today...
The route I chose turned out to be brilliant, there would have been "easy" options but I went through the mountains. Maybe this is the last time I can climb higher than 1000m without having to cope with snow this year. Before I had to tackle the first mountain, I saw, that they reach up to the clouds, that hid their cretes. Good I thought, maybe they even reach above the clouds, where I could meet the sun.
After gaining 400m, I reached the first small pass, after which I plunged into the higher valley and started climbing again. I reached the clouds and drove through the mystic landscape circling around mountaintops, crossing small passes into the next valley. The woods were beautiful and silent. Finally, scratching at the 1500m, parts of the now rockyer mountains where lighted by the sun and on the pass before the last, I found my sunny spot. Big time for a longer break, drying the wet cloth and just be. When I took of I thought the rest is down hill and put my raincoat again (taking it one and off was a sport of its own) then I took a wrong turn, but luckily realized before having rode downhill too far. Turing back, thinking of the other road that I was supposed to take, I thought; "hmm, if this streach also goes up the road down must be really steep." The last vally to cross was quite spectacular. The road cut the slope high and down at the bottom of the valley there where a lot of old stone walls forming an interesting pattern. In the meantime the sky was covered again. And there its was tje last pass. I crossed, went a couple of dozen , meters downhill and it was as I hoped; the clouds were contained in the kettle I left behind and beneath me there was an incredible sight: the trees glowing in all different colors, in between the light gray rocks and what I mistook for a moment for another fog sea, was actually the real sea. And here words are just not enough this ride down towards the sea was just to die for. Getting lower I felt the warm air and enjoyed the sensation of my fingers were thawing. And then... The smell of pine trees. God! This is crazy!
I watched the first part of sunset while waiting for the ship setting over to the island of Pag. In the middle of the island there is a small mountain chain from north to south, hiding the rest of the spectacle when I arrived on the island. So I mobilised the rest of force to get quickly one the other side of the mountains to see the rest. The sun was already down when I arrived on the hilltop breath like a bull, but the sky was a deep read. I checked the time: quarter past five. No clouds and its getting dark earlier even then the past two days? I was also wondering in the morning before seven, when I awoke, it was bright outside. Jep right...
The camping was already closed I, figured out upon arrival. So I settled in a hostel. Fine with me. Anyway I deserve this bed after this workout (100km, 2100m).