click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

31 Oct 2011

Day 55: Novalja-Zadar

A beautiful day. And my sunglasses had broken weeks ago, and I never was urged to replace them until today. So after breakfast I went looking for new ones, tried a couple of shops and ended up finding some polarised glasses, that I liked too much after making the mistake to try them on, even though they were not exactly the price range I was looking for. But the shopkeeper made a really an offer I could not refuse (if I declined I probably would have ended up shooting myself later). So I came about the cheapest polarised sunglasses I ever had.
After some food shopping and sewing my lycras (soon I have no textiles anymore I did not need to fix) I was ready for takeoff, much later than usual.
Nice roads...
After an hour I stopped to check the maps, and there was a red cat "saying hello". I crossed the street to join him and play a bit. He made the impression of having a lot to tell. I enjoyed his company and I understood, that so did he. Then the owner of the farm close by arrived. He was taking off his helmet when a car passt and hit something. He did not notice the incident, he just asked: "problem?" When he saw me starring at the street and muttering something. A cat got hit. She was bearly able to make a noise, could not move her hind legs but was struggling to get back on her feet. I stood there helpless and troubled, then heard another car approaching, and not wanting her to get hit again, I went to take her off the street. When I lifted her up, I felt that her back was broken and that she must have had suffered severe internal injury. I put her down beside the street. The farmer made a gesture indicating that she would die. I stroked her head, she stopped struggling and died moments later. I wanted to close her eyes, but did not manage (never works like in the movies). The red cat came, started to clean her and then lay down by her side, purring. The farmer pointed out to me, that she was his mother and that the two of them are very effective in chasing down the mice on his property. I then realized, that the mother-cat was probably coming to greet the farmer upon his arrival when she left her life on the road.
It turned out to be a sad day too.
The farmer told me that he would berry her, took of to get a shovel and said goodbye. I took my bike and drove away to the next bar, to have a coffee and write this down.

The next two hours on the road I was like glued to the saddle and felt a bit numb while the thoughts were rambling in my head.
When my head finally cleared, I decided to go to Zadar, the first bigger city I visit in Croatia, stay a night, maybe two and skip Split and Dubrovnik.
I arrived im the old town and found a hostel without trouble. This part of the city is packed with houses, narrow little roads winding their way between them. The stones the streets and stairs are made of, are worn off. This place has lived for along time already and it bears the marks of it, which in my eyes given iron a lot of character. but maybe it is a bit like with people; some age well, others less.