click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

16 Apr 2012

Day 221: Yerevan

It was not quite planed like this, but the fact that there was no way to properly concentrate yesterday evening and that the internet connection was notoriously overloaded would not let me do my visa homework as planed. So I decided to stay another day, read all the stuff that I have to, get a Russian-English phrase book, and stock up on food.
I tried a couple of times to roam the streets of Yerevan, but I was too tired. Last night it was the last one of the group of English teachers and accordingly they celebrated their last day together before going back to their host families in Georgia. It was already early morning when it was quiet enough to sleep. A bit later I woke up because of a weird dream of a water tap, the noise was as if there was air in the tubes and the water was surging out of the tab and, weirdly enough, splatter on the floor. The far too real noise and the absence of the sink caused all kind of scenarios in my head of a huge mess, so I woke up to see that the water tap was a poor fellow that drunk a bit too much last night. I brought the guy a bowl from the kitchen and got a tad upset that this puking guy did not manage to go to the bathroom nor did he seem to bother to clean up his mess before the smell takes over the entire room. While he continued sleeping this early hour in the morning was the end of the nights rest.
Anyway, I tried, tired as I was, to get a look of the city, went out, walked a couple of blocks and soon turned around to have a nap. Later I tried again, passed a grocery store, bought stuff, brought it back to the hostel and hours passed before the next attempt. However what I saw from the city yesterday when I rode into the centre and from the walk around a couple of blocks surprised me quite a bit. I haven't seen such a shiny city for a while and for whatever reason did not expect it here. Everybody was dressed up, but not because of Easters, because that was last weekend here. There were a lot of expensive cars driving around, everything looked clean, all the buildings in the around the centre were well taken care of and of course a lot of new constructions were taking place here and there. Well, all these attribute a western man associates with wealth and luxury were quite abundant here. I still can't decide if it is the fact that the city did not even remotely meet my expectations is more work my mind more than the actuality about me being surprised by the cities wealth (or shininess, whatever you want to call it)