click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

20 Apr 2012

Day 234: Saravan-Doghar

I attacked todays climb for the pass 2000m+ number six with force and pushed the remaining 900m up the serpentine without any stop. On the top I switched t-shirts and put on some more cloths (in the morning I had breakfast in my undies because it was so warm). After a longer break and a chat with a Czech lad starting the conversation with: 'I saw you a couple of days ago in Dilijan', I was in not for the downhill as I expected, but a series of up and downs staying in altitude where it was windy and too cold for a t-shirt but too hot for a jumper. I finally arrived in Goris pretty exhausted. but here the landscapes became exciting again. I stocked up with food and after one failed attempt of leaving the main road, where I had to turn around, I found this amazing small mountain which is has a huge flat part at the intersection of valleys. Up here the views in all directions are breathtaking. I'm sure to get up early tomorrow since there is no shadow from the morning sun.
Later I also found out why this mountain was so amazingly flat; wind erosion! Once the sun was hidden away strong winds came up. I went around the tent and stamped a couple of tent pegs into the ground, which luckily was firm sticky earth. And another bit later I heard thunder. When I was picking the spot I thought, that it might be a bit exposed here in the flat, but remembering the weather forecast (for Yerevan) there was not thunder storms and went ahead. I saw the lightnings, but the storm speared me. At some point, after yet another and yet stronger gust hit the tent, the image of me in my tent leaving the ground and flying through space formed. This might sound shocking, but I had more the romantic side of it in mind and I worked like a lullaby.