click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

20 Apr 2012

Day 222: Yerevan-Lanjanist

Getting out of the metropolis through all these suburbs was long and tiresome. I've seen the contrast between the shiny city center and the outskirts often enough and find it little appealing. Ararat was hidden behind clouds taking away the only thing I was looking forward to in this first part of the ride.
But then I could take a smaller road leading back into the mountains. The valley I enterd was covered in glowing, fresh green grass. Trees were only in the center of the valley and mostly fruit trees from agriculture and all in bloom. There were a lot of small torrents, which I found surprising, since there was no forest on the hillsides and the snow was gone already, so there must be sources pushing from deep inside the mountains I figured. I saw storchs circling up into the sky with the rising hot air, a pair of eagles chased through the valley and falcons would dive for pray on the fields.
slowly, slowly the road got steeper and became a serpentine. In one of the curves I went straight, leaving the road and found a spot overlooking the valley. No dogs around, just frogs in the little lakes. I just had time to pitch the tent when a shower came and at some point the rain turned into hail. It did not last long to my releave and I found a good nights sleep.