click on pictures to open the albums

Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe
Street Art along the Way
Street Art
Middle East
Middle East
Planet India
Planet India

21 Apr 2012

Day 226: Kapan-Agarak

My last day in Armenia... but there is still one the pass of Meghri to cross, which is incidently the highest with its 2535m. But when I started (on 570m) I only knew that it's higher than 2000m. The climb was spectacular, each new turn up that steep road (12% most of the time) brought a new perspective on that valley I came from. And it was very exhausting in the last quarter I happend to stop more often to taken a photo. When I, got off the bike on top, I felt a bit unsteady on my legs.
So I, had a long lunch brake, looking back down the way I came from, take a short stroll around and took some pictures.
Then I, got back on the bike, looked down on the way ahead and even seeing as far as to Iran. But I, did not find a lot of new strength during the break, heaving myself and Wolter up a 2000m in 40km distance completly drained my reserves for the day. But as it went up, it also went down, rather steep...
So I made it to Meghri with barley having to pedal at all. It was an amazing ride, the weather, the landscapes, the road with little (slow) traffic was very much my taste.
My intention was to sleep not too far from the border and cross next morning, otherwise I, would waste one of my precious 15 days visa duration in Iran. So first I needed to stock up water, then find a place for the night. Once I was back down on altitudes where it is green I found water, but I could not find a quiet place anymore. The feeling in my legs pushed the thought of going back up away immediately, so I followed the road all the way to the border and found myself at sunset finally in Agarak, the closest Armenian small town to the border. So I parked my lazy ass in a hotel, well I deserved it...